25 Quick Tips on Saving Money in College
In 2011, there was more student loan debt in the US than credit card debt. Unfortunately, personal finance isn’t taught in the typical K-12 setting. Learning financial literacy, however, can be as simple as putting a few coins into a piggy bank. We’ve accumulated a list of 25 quick tips on how to save money during your unidays.
- Borrow required textbooks from the school or public library.
- Try renting rather than buying your textbooks.
- Find older and cheaper editions of your required readings.
- Keep your books in good condition so you can sell them when you no longer need them.
- Add some protein to your ramen with an egg or two.
- Snack smart by grabbing a fruit from the dining hall for a snack and bring it back.
- If you’re going to a restaurant, check its website for coupons or promotions.
- Learn to cook to reduce the costs of ordering in or eating out.
- Shop for food and cook smart. Fresh food is usually cheaper than pre-packaged “quick meals.”
- Stock your dorm pantry with oatmeal, granola bars, and cereal.
- Take advantage of coupons and buy in bulk.
Take advantage of your student ID
- Pay attention to events on campus for a good way to get entertainment without spending a ton of money.
- Apply for scholarships. Several hundred thousand dollars get wasted every year because people don’t apply for them.
- Consider on-campus opportunities to make cash or an on-campus job.
- Always carry student ID because many places have student discounts.
- Save by shopping student specials.
- Try paying off the interest on your student loans while you’re in college.
Other Useful Tips
- Save change in a jar and don’t spend unless an emergency pops up.
- Recycle by saving up cans and bottles throughout the year to deposit.
- Create a budget and stick to it.
- Get a credit card with cash back rewards.
- Take advantage of student travel discounts.
- When furnishing an apartment or dorm room, use what you have before buying newer, nicer things.
- Browse eBay outlets to find products that are up to a third cheaper than those in stores.
- Sell your expertise in a subject as a tutor.
Please leave a comment if you would like to share your ideas : )